Friday, April 23, 2010

Review Criteria

When researching art reviews in Art in America, Art Forum, Ceramics Monthly, and American Craft, I found some common criteria relating to subject, object, form and content. Based on my research I developed my own criteria as follows:

1.Begin with an introduction of the artist or the venue or the work being reviewed.

2. Develop a thread for my reader to follow throughout my review.

3. Consider the Artist's intention as best I could while giving my reaction.

4. Is the work visually compelling and thought-provoking?

5. What was the connection of the works to the bigger whole/ theme of the show?

6. What were the reactions of other viewers at the show?
7. Tie the writing together in a conclusion with an overall critique of the show being a success or failure and why.

No comments:

Post a Comment